Hanweck is looking for an experienced Database Expert who is up for a new challenge in the financial technology industry. Hanweck – a leader in real-time, large-scale financial risk analytics - operates a large-scale, real-time data environment consuming and storing terabytes of market and analytic data daily at time scales measured in milliseconds. This is an opportunity for an exceptional candidate to join a team with tremendous experience in quantitative financial markets, computer science and data science.
The successful Database Expert candidate will be an accomplished, hands-on database architect with a passion for database design, development, optimization and administration. The successful candidate will be highly skilled at all aspects of MySQL and MSSQL Server relational database systems, including database design, SQL programming, ETL processing, performance tuning, query optimization and administration of the RDBMSs that back Hanweck’s applications.
Design and implement data models, schemas and queries that back Hanweck’s applications in collaboration with the team.
- Champion best practices of database and SQL query design, implementation and execution throughout the organization.
- Review and recommend modifications to existing schemas, indexing, SQL code, etc., to optimize and adhere to best practices.
- Mentor junior members of the team in RDBMS technology and best practices.
- Prepare documentation and specifications including database design and coding standards.
- Provide technical assistance to other team members, participate in code reviews and oversee RDBMS change management.
Perform capacity analysis and planning, and oversee database tuning.
Be a keen team player and collaborate with other team members and business stakeholders
Education: 3rd level degree (or equivalent qualification) in STEM subject
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working with complex databases
- Extensive, hands-on experience with RDBMS design and implementation for optimal transactional throughput in high-volume systems and in delivering highly scalable solutions using both relational and non-relational data models
- Scripting (Perl, Python, Bash, etc.) and Linux experience a must, with strong, hands-on experience in Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) techniques and applications.
- Expertise in at least one of the main commercial relational databases (e.g., MSSQL, MySQL, ORACLE, DB2) and their SQL languages.
- Database Admin/System skills should include knowledge of the following: clustering and indexing correctly; DB backups; performance tuning and optimization; partitions; file system layout; familiar with profiling tools – tuning; and, debugging - why a DB might be locked, identify long running queries, what to do in each event
- SQL expert with the ability to demonstrate mastery of complex queries coupled with the ability to write and understand complex, transactional, stored procedures
- Have the ability to take a well-defined data set and turn into a DB schema which is optimized for the key use cases
- Be able to design a database with all critical load and query operations considered
Be familiar with large scale relational databases: ability to describe the key concerns and common pitfalls encountered when designing and managing large scale databases
At Hanweck there is tremendous potential to learn, grow and seek advancement, while also contributing to policies, decisions, and the direction of the company. We offer extremely competitive compensation and benefits, and provide a highly open, honest, and fun work environment.